Despite the fact that Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS is the fourth anime series for the WIXOSS IP, I think newcomers could potentially just jump into this show without having watched the previous iterations.
I’m saying that one (if said individual weren’t keen on watching the other three series first) could theoretically pick up Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS because this first episode was largely dominated by characters who talked about what happened in the previous season, Lostorage Incited WIXOSS. The final battle is skimmed through and the motivations behind Kiyoi’s actions are touched upon. Still, if you went into this series blind you’d be missing out on a lot of finer details since the roles characters played are not elaborated on and the series is counting on you to remember (or for you to consult a wiki article and / or episode synopsis).
But at least there was a flashback which wasn’t just recycled material since it reveals a previously unseen battle Kiyoi had with another Selector in which the opposing LRIG sabotages her own Selector in order to take over her body. That unexpected development, along with the fact that Carnival (in Kou’s body) was spotted by Suzuko, Hanna, and Kiyoi, has all the girls worried about Selector battles starting up again.
…Actually, that battle was probably shown in Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS: Missing Link which aired 4 months ago. Never mind.
Anyways, this episode primarily consisted of the show nudging the viewers in the ribs and saying, “Remember this? How about that? Oh, check this out.”
I’m actually really excited to see that Ruko, the OG strongest Selector, will be re-entering the fray, to be honest. Be that as it may, I’m also a bit disappointed that this series is even happening since (almost) all of the girls had earned their happy endings at the end of Selector Spread WIXOSS and Lostorage Incited WIXOSS. As a result, it almost seems like Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS is a slap in the face and disregards their efforts.
But what do the die-hard fans care? They just want to see the suffering.
For those of you who haven’t watched any of the previous series before, expect the following should you choose to follow Lostorage Conflated WIXOSS:
- Despair. Bad things will happen to Selectors without fail. Sometimes they cause the bad things to other Selectors, too. And it’s all because of this dangerous card game.
- The rules to said dangerous card game are never truly explained so the audience will feel a bit left-out as characters play cards and talk about things we don’t understand. It’s not exactly engaging.
Here are some
irrelevant questions or thoughts I had in mind after watching the episode:
- I really missed Hanna’s manner of speech and I’m glad she’s appearing in this episode. Hopefully she plays a part in this upcoming battle.
- These girls look really cute wearing casual clothing.
- I believe Kiyoi’s forgotten her memories of her friend who died? My memory is a bit fuzzy here. At any rate, Kiyoi is desperate to remember the specific memories pertaining to that person which is why she wants to fight.
- Douna does a great job acting as Shouhei after replacing him. She really was and remains best girl.
- Can the OG adapt to the new style of Selector battles and help Kiyoi (and Suzuko – we all know that Suzuko will get roped into helping the others) defeat Carnival and her grunts?
- What sort of LRIG will the Selectors from the original (two) series receive should they join in? Will they receive their original LRIGs or will they receive the Hajimaru no LRIG who adapts to them as seen in Lostorage Incited WIXOSS? I’m basically wondering about what happened to Tama. Will Hanayo get involved, too?
- AKI-LUCKY DESU WA! I hope she isn’t crazy this time, but since it’s her, I doubt. It sucks since she got off easy but it looks like she’s joining the fray once again…