Five-girl-teams duke it out with evil and bulbous monsters that have slabs for arms and legs!
(Spoilers in this review)
The whole point of the school is to secretly train these girls to fight these evil light bulbs from the fifth dimension, the O’bli. The main team is weak, however. Still, I do love underdogs!
They let O’bli escape in the beginning of the episode. The leader, Tsubame, laments over this failure while they all shower.
We then get a peek at the main team’s school lives (excluding Tsubame, who apparently can’t enter the school during the day time. Perhaps she’s not actually a student).
Then comes exposition, then we see an actually competent team fight an O’bil. Later on, the main team has improved and prevents the O’bli from escaping this time. Nevertheless, they still needed to be bailed out by their senpai.
Thoughts on Schoolgirl Strikers – Animation Channel thus far:
- The main draw of the series (excluding the prominent fanservice) is the mystery behind Tsubame, who is amnesiac. We get to hear multiple references to her unique situation throughout this episode, which all but guarantees that this is important. Well, all amnesiacs turn out to important, but still. Hopefully the reveal is actually something interesting. It would make watching this typical action show as it pulls us along for weeks worth the wait, I guess.
- Energetic Yuumi seems intent on making an official seven mysteries for their school and says so repeatedly. Mana is the cheerful, squeaky-voiced loli; Satoka is the stoic glutton; and Io is the cool volleyball “prince” who happens to have quite the girly side when it comes to ghosts. Quirky girls? Yes. Deep characters? Well, not yet?
- I think the amount of exposition is alright (a bit on the spare side), but the timing of it is a bit peculiar since they’re throwing around terms like O’bil before explaining it during a battle.
- Again, I feel like I must stress that there’s copious amount of fanservice. Just look at the other team’s uniforms!
- The animation during the fight scenes seemed pretty great to me! Unfortunately, the transformation scenes were pretty underwhelming. This is the drawback of five main characters, huh? Gotta cut corners to save the animation team from doing extra work!
- This is probably only going to matter to me, but I love how every girl is wearing a different uniform. Non-uniform uniforms indeed!
- The OP at the end